Americans want to lose weight for both health and aesthetic reasons. Even a five percent loss of weight can make a considerable difference in the way a person looks and feels. Consider these pointers for weight loss and consult with a doctor at St Mary's Medical Clinic in Monroe, NC about modern weight loss solutions.
Reasons Why Weight Loss Can Be a Challenge
Many people struggle for years trying to lose weight. Here are a few of the most common reasons why it can be a major challenge:
- Your metabolism can slow down with age, making it more difficult to shed the pounds.
- It's more difficult to lose fat in certain areas of the body—especially the mid-section.
- Many people give up on weight loss when they don't see major results in a short period of time.
- It's difficult to stick to a diet plan when you don't know what to eat or you're constantly tempted by unhealthy foods.
A Few Pointers
As with most goals, you need a clear plan in place to achieve and maintain weight loss. If you're serious about losing weight, here are a few pointers to help you get on the right track:
- Change what you eat in addition to how much you eat. Focus on lean proteins, healthy fats, and plenty of vegetables.
- Make a commitment to burn more calories than you take in each day.
- Don't crash diet and try to lose a lot of weight in a short time, as those results don't usually last. Commit to losing about two to four pounds per week.
Weight Loss Treatments Available
In addition to giving you weight loss pointers, a doctor at St. Mary's Medical Clinic in Monroe can help you with a specialized weight loss program called Ideal Protein. It is a delicious meal plan that keeps your cravings at bay while nourishing your body. You might also be eligible for the HCG Weight Loss Program, which controls your appetite and regulates your metabolism.
Get Help With Your Weight
Whether weight loss is a resolution you've committed to or you just want to make sure you fit into your favorite bathing suit this summer, the team at St Mary's Medical Clinic in Monroe, NC can help. Call 704-225-0211 today to ask for weight loss consultation with Dr. Awa Igbinadolor.
Forehead wrinkles. Crows feet. Frown lines. Dynamic wrinkles often develop from repetitive facial expression, causing these fine lines to appear visible even when the face is totally relaxed.
Wrinkles are a normal part of the aging process. The most common contributors to premature aging of the skin include genetics, spending too much time in the sun, smoking and poor diet. Avoiding or limiting these activities can help prevent and lessen the effects of wrinkles.
Not all wrinkles can be avoided, and when quick, dramatic results are desired, Botox® may be a viable solution for removing wrinkles on the face caused by daily muscle contraction of your natural facial expressions. Botox® works by temporarily blocking nerve impulses, which reduces the movement of those particular muscles. With less movement, the skin surface is gradually smoothed, the lines begin to fade, and your natural vibrant skin strengthens and returns.
During treatment, very low doses of Botox® are administered by way of small injections. FDA-approved, Botox® is a safe and minimally invasive treatment. It takes just a few minutes and can last about 3-4 months. The effects are not permanent and may need to be repeated as directed by your dermatologist.
If you are interested in learning more about Botox ® cosmetic treatments, contact our office and we will be happy to answer your questions. Younger looking skin is easily attainable with the help of your dermatologist!
Scars left behind from acne, surgery, chicken pox, burns or other injuries, especially when they appear on your face, can be disfiguring physically and emotionally.
Scars are a natural part of the skin’s healing process, and most small scars fade over time to become nearly invisible. The larger and more severe the skin damage and the longer it takes to heal, however, the more prominent the scar will be. If the appearance of a scar bothers you, a visit to your dermatologist may be in order.
Today, dermatologists offer many cosmetic treatment options that can significantly reduce the appearance of large, raised scars. Although scars cannot be eliminated entirely, modern cosmetic techniques can significantly minimize their visibility for an improved appearance.
Leading cosmetic dermatology options include:
- Dermabrasion: A technique that involves removing the upper layer of the skin, allowing new skin to regenerate.
- Laser scar removal: Using a high-energy light, a dermatologist can remove or reshape disfigured scar tissue. Different types of laser scar removal are used for different types of scarring.
- Microdermabrasion: A non-chemical, non-invasive procedure that applies microscopic crystals. This gently exfoliates and smooths the outermost layer of dead skin cells, revealing younger, healthier looking skin.
- Chemical peels: Typically administered as a facial peel, this treatment involves applying an acid solution to remove and smooth the scarred outer layers of skin.
- Topical cream, gel or ointment: Special creams can be applied directly to a scar to soften the tissue and promote healing.
In some cases, more than one treatment, or a combination of procedures, may be recommended to attain your optimal results. Your dermatologist can help you determine the best treatment for your specific goals and degree of scarring.
If you are concerned about the appearance of your scars, visit your dermatologist. Most scarring is highly treatable by an expert. We can assess the scar, review treatment options, and help you select the most effective therapy for significantly reducing your scars’ visibility.
Many people are bothered by the small, unsightly clusters of purple, red and blue veins that commonly appear on the legs. These blemishes are called spider and varicose veins. Factors that lead to the formation of these veins include heredity, gender, and pregnancy. Prolonged standing, obesity, hormones, and physical trauma may also contribute to the development of varicose veins.
In addition to the visual appearance of the veins, many people may experience the following symptoms:
- Leg pain
- Leg fatigue or heaviness
- Burning sensations in the leg
- Swelling/throbbing in the leg
- Tenderness surrounding the veins
Varicose veins may remain merely a cosmetic issue or can progress to more serious health complications. Delaying treatment may cause leg discoloration, swelling and ulceration, or predispose to blood clots. It’s important to consult your regular physician when you first notice signs of varicose veins.
For patients troubled by the appearance of their veins, there is help. Varicose veins can easily be removed with the help of a dermatologist. A time-tested treatment, sclerotherapy is a simple, safe, and effective non-surgical procedure used to treat unwanted varicose veins.
Sclerotherapy diminishes the appearance of varicose veins by injecting a “sclerosing agent” into target veins to shrink the vessels and minimize their appearance. While a specific treatment plan can only be determined following a consultation with your dermatologist, most patients notice a significant reduction, if not total elimination, of their unwanted veins over the treatment period.
Sclerotherapy has been used for generations by dermatologists to help patients eliminate spider and varicose veins. Sclerotherapy can enhance your appearance and improve your self-confidence. Visit your dermatologist for an initial consultation and find out if you are a good candidate.
How IPL therapy from your doctor in Monroe can help you
If you don’t like how your skin looks, Intense Pulsed Light can help. Whether you are unhappy about the early signs of aging showing up in your face, or you have other cosmetic skin issues bothering you, it’s time to consider IPL therapy. Dr. Awa Igbinadolor at St. Mary’s Medical Clinic in Monroe, NC wants to share how Intense Pulsed Light therapy can help you look your best.
Intense Pulsed Light therapy, commonly called IPL, is a state-of-the-art high-intensity light system used to treat many skin issues. It works by using pulses of light to promote collagen production and rejuvenate your skin.
IPL therapy is easy because treatment:
- Is non-invasive and doesn’t damage skin
- Requires no downtime, so you can get back to your day
- Is quick, and produces almost immediate results
- Can cover a large area, resulting in fewer appointments
- Is easily tolerated and painless
With IPL therapy your skin will:
- Look younger by smoothing out fine lines and wrinkles
- Look better by reducing the appearance of sun damage or discolorations
- Look smoother by reducing or eliminating acne and acne scarring
- Look clearer by reducing the look of rosacea or broken capillaries
Thanks to IPL therapy, you can also remove unwanted hair, permanently. Unlike electrolysis, IPL therapy can treat a large area at the same time, which means you can remove unwanted hair from your legs and back, easily and completely.
IPL treatment can be combined with other cosmetic treatments like dermal fillers and microneedling to help your skin look flawless. The number of treatments you will need depends on the area being treated, with two to five treatments being average.
Intense Pulsed Light treatments can help your skin look younger, better, and more revitalized. You don’t have to let aging, blemishes, or cosmetic issues take over your skin. Take charge of your looks and be the best you can be, thanks to IPL therapy. For more information about IPL therapy and other cosmetic and medical treatments, call Dr. Igbinadolor at St. Mary’s Medical Clinic in Monroe, NC today!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.