Discover helpful acne-fighting tips and trick to achieve clearer skin.
You’re trying to find the right way to get your acne under control, right? Well, there are certainly so many options out there that it can be a bit daunting. First and foremost, if you are just starting to deal with acne then you may want to tackle the issue from the comfort of your own home before turning to a dermatologist for help.
At-Home Treatment Options
The first line of defense is usually to try an over-the-counter acne cleanser or topical cream that contains an active ingredient such as benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. It’s important to be patient when it comes to seeing results. No acne product will work overnight. In fact, it can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks of consistent use before you start to notice results from commercial acne products, so don’t give up on a product too soon.
Other tips to follow include:
- Cleaning your smartphone with disinfectant wipes at lease once a day (imagine just how much bacteria your phone picks up everyday).
- Washing your face twice a day, once in the morning and at night before bedtime, and immediately after sweating.
- Being gentle with your skin. Harsh scrubs and being aggressive won’t get rid of acne; it will actually just make it worse.
- Using cosmetic products that won’t clog pores (look for words like “non-comedogenic” or “oil free”)
- Leaving acne alone (do not pick acne or try to extract it yourself, as this can lead to scarring)
- Washing pillowcases regularly to get rid of pore-clogging bacteria
When to See a Dermatologist
If you are having trouble getting your acne under control after weeks of trial and error, or if your acne is severe and painful then it’s time to enlist the help of a dermatologist who will be able to provide you with more effective strategies for getting rid of your acne. After all, there are different things that can cause acne and it’s important that your skin doctor figures out what’s causing your acne so that they can create the right treatment plan for you.
Dermatologist-Approved Acne Treatment Options
Depending on what’s causing your breakouts, a dermatologist may recommend these treatment options:
- Topical treatment: Prescription-strength cleansers, ointments, and creams containing glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and retinoids can target and eliminate acne.
- Topical or oral antibiotics: Antibiotics can reduce inflammation and kill the bacteria responsible for acne.
- Oral contraceptives: If you are dealing with breakouts that occur around your menstrual cycle then hormonal fluctuations could be causing your acne. There are certain types of birth control pills that have been FDA approved to fight acne.
- Isotretinoin: More commonly referred to as Accutane, this powerful oral medication is used for those dealing with severe cystic acne that can lead to deep scarring. This is often recommended when other treatment options haven’t been effective.
Have questions about getting your acne under control? Then it’s time to consult with a dermatologist.
What is Psoriasis?
Have you been experiencing bumpy, white-scale-topped patches of red skin erupting over certain parts of your body? These itchy, sometimes painful plaques could be the result of an undiagnosed case of psoriasis. Although this skin disorder does not have a cure, there are several treatment options that can lead to symptom relief. Read on to learn more about psoriasis and how your local dermatologist can help!
The Background on Psoriasis
While there is no medical consensus on what exactly causes psoriasis, experts generally point towards an abnormality in how T cells operate in a patient’s immune system. T cells are normally used by the body in order to defend against foreign threats, such as viruses or bacteria. However, for those with psoriasis, these cells become overactive and start to treat healthy skin cells as if they were harmful. In turn, this leads the body to behave as if it had a wound to heal, or an infection to fight. As a result, sporadic patches of irritated skin begin to erupt on certain parts of the body.
Both the appearance of these symptoms and the level of their severity can be triggered through a number of factors, including:
- Skin infections
- Skin injuries
- Heavy stress
- Regular tobacco use
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Use of specific medications, such as lithium, beta blockers, antimalarial drugs, and iodides
Although there is no cure for the disorder, your local dermatologist has a number of treatment methods that can slow down the growth of skin cells responsible for psoriasis’ uncomfortable rashes. An appointment with your skin doctor can determine which of these options is right for you:
- Steroid cream
- Coal tar (available in lotions, creams, foams, soaps, and shampoos)
- Ultraviolet therapy
- Retinoid (not recommended for women who are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant)
- Methotrexate (only for serious cases)
Need Relief? Give Us a Call!
You don’t need to live with the full discomfort of psoriasis; give our office a call today and discover how we can help!
If you are struggling to lose weight, our HCG Weight Loss Program could do so much for you. The HCG Weight Loss Program at St. Mary’s Medical Clinic can help achieve your weight loss goals by safely losing weight and keeping it off under the supervision of a doctor. The program utilizes a high-quality HCG supplement to reduce your appetite and promote weight loss. At St. Mary’s Medical Clinic in Monroe, NC, Dr. Awa Igbinadolor is your doctor for medically supervised weight loss!
HCG Weight Loss Program
Losing weight can do so much more for you than simply boosting your confidence by helping you feel better about your appearance. Losing excess weight can improve overall health by reducing your risk of developing diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, and other weight-related health problems. However, we understand how challenging it can be to lose weight and keep it off. At St. Mary’s Medical Clinic, we utilize the HCG Weight Loss Program to help you lose weight and keep it off.
The program utilizes a high-quality HCG supplement to promote weight loss. When used in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle that includes exercise and healthy eating, the HCG supplement can help you achieve your weight loss goals. HCG is a hormone that helps with weight loss by calming feelings of hunger, reducing appetite, reducing hunger-related fatigue, and promoting the release of certain types of fat cells. Dr. Igbinadolor, your Monroe weight loss doctor, can help you decide if the HCG Weight Loss Program is right for you.
There are several benefits associated with the HCG Weight Loss Program available through St. Mary’s Medical Clinic. Benefits of the program include:
- It is entirely supervised by a professional physician
- Only quality pharmaceutical strength HCG is used
- HCG supplements reduce appetite, helping you eat in moderation
- Achieve rapid weight loss of up to one pound per day
- HCG help you maintain weight loss by resetting your metabolism
To learn more about weight loss in Monroe using the HCG weight loss program, schedule an appointment with Dr. Igbinadolor by calling St. Mary’s Medical Clinic at (704) 225-0211.
Could those rough, white bumps actually be Keratosis Pilaris?
If you are dealing with rough patches of skin on your body, then you may be dealing with a condition known as keratosis pilaris. While this is a fairly common and nonthreatening dermatological issue it can be hard to effectively treat. Luckily, most cases of keratosis pilaris go away by the age of 30. However, find out everything you need to know about this condition and how to manage your symptoms properly.
Are you noticing any of these symptoms?
- Rough, scaly patches that are sometimes itchy
- White or red bumps that look like acne
- Bumps on the arms, legs, cheeks or butt
- An increase in symptoms during the winter
If you’ve said “yes” to any of these symptoms above, then your bumps may be the result of keratosis pilaris. Luckily, this isn’t a serious condition and often won’t require treatment. However, some people feel embarrassed by how their skin looks. If this is the case, then consult your dermatologist.
Keratosis Pilaris Treatments
There is no one treatment that effectively helps those with keratosis pilaris. However, your dermatologist might recommend a medicated exfoliant, a retinoid cream or gel, or laser treatment. While using these medications may improve the look of your skin, if you stop taking this medication there is a significant chance that the problem will return. The biggest issue with this dermatological condition is that it lasts for many years.
SelfCare Measures for Keratosis Pilaris
While your treatment options might not sound ideal, there are also some easy things you can do at home that can improve the look of your skin.
- Avoid scrubbing or rubbing your skin, which can further aggravate your condition.
- Always pat your skin dry and never rub. This will also help to maintain moisture.Apply a moisturizer after getting out of the shower. This can further help to improve the appearance of dry, irritated skin.
- Look for products with urea or lactic acid. Both of these ingredients can be found in over-thecounter skin care products and they remove excess keratin from the outermost layer of the skin.
Talk to your dermatologist about which prescription medications and lifestyle changes would improve your condition. Even though this condition isn’t serious you can still seek medical advice and treatments to help with your problem.
The Benefits of Botox
Want to erase the signs of aging this year? Millions of men and women are discovering the benefits of BOTOX treatments. BOTOX is a medicine that is injected into muscles to erase the signs of aging and treat certain conditions. Dermatologists are physicians who are trained in diagnosing and treating conditions and diseases of the skin. BOTOX is available from dermatologists. Read on to learn about the benefits of BOTOX.
1. It rejuvenates the skin.
BOTOX treatment is an excellent adjunct for rejuvenation of the face. BOTOX should be considered in addition to laser therapy, skin care, chemical peels, and resurfacing to improve the appearance of the face. It tightens and rejuvenizes your skin to help you look and feel younger.
2. It can remove your wrinkles.
BOTOX works by blocking nerve impulses that cause muscles to contract and cause wrinkles. It's commonly injected into the face to eliminate wrinkles. Many patients who get BOTOX treatments can experience an improved complexion without the need for surgery.
3. It can erase smile lines.
For most people, nasolabial folds— also known as smile lines— are nothing to smile about. Smile lines are fine lines that primarily develop around the sides of your mouth. They are more noticeable when you laugh or smile. BOTOX can reduce the appearance of smile lines. BOTOX can improve your look with minimal to no downtime. You will be able to go about your normal routine immediately after your treatment.
4. It can make crow's feet disappear.
Before you know it, crow's feet can leave you looking older than you feel. Crow’s feet are the lines that appear around the eyes. BOTOX is injected into crow’s feet with a tiny needle to improve the skin’s appearance. You may begin to notice the results of your BOTOX treatment within a few days, with results lasting up to 4 months.
Ready for an anti-aging makeover? Say yes to BOTOX! Find a dermatologist near you and schedule a consultation. BOTOX has helped many people enhance their appearance, giving them more self-confidence and improving their lives. And it will do the same for you.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.